So we had a little mishap Tuesday evening.
It all happened while we were sitting at the dinner table (minus Dan cause he hadn't made it home from work yet). I was giving Isaac a bite of his squash when I realized Lincoln had gotten down from his chair. I look over and he is reaching for the opened can of pears on the counter (lid still attached). Before I can get to him he reaches in. He's upset that it's a little pokey and his fingers are stuck. I tell myself to stay calm. I tell him I will help him and to NOT pull his fingers out. Too late. He freaks and starts yanking. Yep. He cut himself. REALLY bad. Blood everywhere. Definitely need to go to Urgent care. Maggie is a superstar and gets my phone to call Daddy. I calmly (or not so calmly) inform Dan that he needs to "get home NOW!" I tell him Lincoln ALMOST cut his finger off. Dan swears I said he cut it off. Isaac is screaming...he's still hungry. I go next door to get my neighbor's help. She takes care of Isaac while I get Lincoln's hand all wrapped and taped...because I have to drive him by myself. I go and meet Dan at Urgent care. They send us to the hospital. They sedate him and take care of him. Ring finger cut to the bone. The tendon is a little cut but still in tact (YAY!)
5 stitches.
Highlights:
1. Dan asking me if I had his finger on ice. (the one he thinks is detached)
2. When the nurse asked Lincoln if he wanted anything he said, "Mommy, can I have a teBBy bear". He doesn't even like stuffed animals. For some reason he thought a tebby bear would make it all better.
3. Lincoln "coming to" after the stitches. It was hilarious hearing his slurred "My. name. is. Spider-Man" while flying his bandaged hand through the air.
4. I was a little worried Maggs would be traumatized. I asked her when we got home if she was ok. She said, "Yeah, Abby (our neighbor) and Lizzie (a friend) taked care of me". We're so lucky to have such good neighbors and friends who will drop everything to help us when we need it.
Looks like it's time to invest in one of THESE


7 comments:
Ouch. I think boys can always find the most unusual ways to injure themselves. I remember my brothers having similar mishaps. I hope it heals quickly! Keeping stuff all bandaged up at this age can be a challenge.
BTW, those flat top can openers are awesome. I love mine, it's Zyliss brand. Takes a little longer to open stuff up, but you won't have to worry about a Lincoln repeat!
Yikes!
5 Stitches. Glad to see it turned out alright in the end.
We have one of the safety can openers, LOVE IT! Ours is tupperware brand.
Glad Link's ok! Man, that ouches!
Holy cow! What a coincidence! That is the only time I have ever had stitches. I was about 2 years old and totally sliced the tip of my finger on a can lid. Ring finger on my right hand. I still have the scar. Glad he was ok. That's why I really like my can opener that doesn't make sharp edges. It always worries me a little.
Oh girl! I would have helped to if I'd known.
Scary stuff. That is the worst feeling when your children get hurt. So SORRY!
Glad you pointed me to your blog.
:)
It looks like you have been busy, your family is sooooo cute. You can just send Lincoln my way if you ever need to, I will give him a good home, he is so cute. April
Oh man Evelynn did the same thing about 6 months ago with a can. Luckily Ronnie got her finger out before it was cut really bad. It ended up just being a minor cut. We cleaned it up and put a band-aid on it. Glad we didn't have to go to the Urgent Care or get stitches.
Post a Comment